We definately have male factor infertility. Count was 5 million, 22% motility, morph 5%, abnormal heads 88%, abnormal tails 7%, antibody test was good at 97% unbound. They referred dh to a male infertility urologist. They think my dh may have vericoles which is like a vericose vein in the testicle, they say if this is it, he'll need surgery to correct it. IF that is the case and it is corrected it increases fertility by 70%.
For me, my saline ultrasound went fine. No abnormalities. The only thing is that I have to have laparoscopy again. He wants to check my fallopian tubes and make sure i don't have endometrosis. Wants to do more than just a HSG. He didn't see any endometrosis on any of the ultrasounds but since my insurance covers the surgery and not the fertility treatments he wants to go ahead and do the surgery. Plus he can get in there and see exactly what is going on prior to any treatments. I have had laparoscopy before to remove ovarian cysts so I know what to expect. He is trying to be thorough and not waste our money doing treatments by missing a step which could have saved us $1000's. So I am happy about that. He also wanted to check for scar tissue from my last surgery. The saline ultrasound showed that my uterus is very healthy and very capable of holding a pregnancy. the only problem was he had trouble getting the cath into my uterus because it is tilted back so far. They are supposed to call me within a week to schedule the surgery. I hope it is soon so I can get that over with.
Dr Nash said we have less than 1% of getting pregnant on our own (he said that was a generous estimate ) Said he would bet money we would get pregnant on our own over the next 10 years! I would be almost 40 by then. Then it would be almost too late.IUI as it is with dh we have an 8%, and 50% chance per cycle if we do IVF with ICSI where they do the sperm injection directly into the egg.
Due to the cost, we have decided to go forward with the IUI because we can afford to start that today if they would let us. It’s a difference of $1,200 per cycle vs. $12,000 per cycle. I think that quote includes meds so it would actually be a little less for us since I have prescription coverage for fertility meds.
We will start injections following my laparoscopy, so that is where we are at….The waiting game…again!
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Was your previous lap easy? I'm probably getting one too, sometime this winter. Kinda nervous about it.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can get your husband's numbers up. I know vitamins and herbs can do great things for sperm!
My last lap wasn't bad. It took a week off work, but i will not be doing that this time. I want to save my sick leave for IUI!!! :)
ReplyDelete